Monday, October 18, 2010

Alfacar - My School

My first day of work was October 1, which was a Friday, and was supposed to be solely a day of introductions, although I ended up working all day.  I did not have time before this day to scope out the bus situation, but I found the bus stop ok and successfully got to Alfacar.  When I got there I went in to a bar to ask where the school was and got directions.  Alfacar is a mountain pueblo so all the roads are VERY steep.  My school is actually at the top of seriously one of the steepest inclines I have ever had to walk.  Morning workout every day I suppose?  When I arrived amongst the mob of children, the first person I asked for was the person I was looking for, my director.  His name is Miguel Angel (Michael Angelo in English is what he says haha) and he is so friendly and helpful.  His English is not very good so we talk in Spanglish, or at least did that day, and now it is predominantly Spanish.  My bilingual coordinator is named Amaia, and is very nice as well, and her English is pretty good, I just need to talk slow for her.  Miguel Angel was so friendly that he said that everyone at the school is my new family and he is my "papa" and the vice principal is my "mama" and everyone else is my "hermana" (sister).  I like pretty much everyone that I work with so far, which is good.  All of the teachers are female, except the speech teacher.  The first day I did a lot of sitting around and watching everything go on, but it was a lot to take in.  I didn't end up getting my official schedule until later in the second week.  There are two school campuses.  The main campus is ages 6-12 (grades 1-6) and the infantil campus is ages 3-5 (preschool & K).  I go to infantil on Mondays which is about a 10 minute walk from the other school. I love the kids! They are so cute!  I was so overwhelmed the first day when visiting though because it was recess and all of the kids were running around screaming.  I was literally dodging rocks and sand and could not hear anything except the high pitched squeals of the children.  They were running around crazy crashing in to me and the other teachers and choking and wrestling with each other.  I could not help but think that that would NEVER fly in the US.  It was quite the battlefield.  The kids here in Spain do not have quite the same fear/respect like in the United States.  For example, if a teacher in the US said "I am going to stand here until you guys are quiet" and proceeded to do so giving the stank eye, the kids would eventually sit down and be quiet (in most cases), but here, the kids are just like "Oh really, sweet! I'm just gonna keep talking then!" and completely ignore the teacher's evil glares.   It is quite different here trying to find a way to get the kids to pay attention, but it is a work in progress to learn I guess…  Anyway, the first day, one of the teachers invited me to coffee later on in the day in Granada, so I went and met the girl that had my position last year, Elizabeth.  She is from St. Louis I believe and is really nice.  It is so funny that everyone here thinks that just because we are both from America we must know each other and they think it is weird that we don't live together.  I can't know every American! Anyway, it was good to meet her, and we went up to this amazing little café in the Albycin area where they serve teas, smoothies, fresh juices, coffee, etc.  It had an amazing view of all of Granada and the Alhambra and it was good to talk to Elizabeth to hear her experience in my school last year and get some Spanish practice in with the others.  Today, I went to lunch with my coworkers in Alfacar, as they do every Monday.  It is a set price that includes a drink, an appetizer, an entrée, and a dessert. It is one of the ONLY restaurants in Alfacar, but it is very good.  The menu is only verbal though, which is rough for me because I pretty much had no idea what I was ordering.  It was good to have Spanish practice again today, and Elizabeth came to this lunch as well.  So, I think this year in the school will be a good learning experience in dealing with children in various ways, and learning about the Spanish educational system.  So far, I have not made any lesson plans but we will see as time passes.  Oh, and also, I get rides to school on Mondays, and home on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursdays from this teacher at my school Rosario because she lives very close to me.  She is very nice and speaks slowly and tries to help me understand, which Elizabeth says was one of her main ways she learned Spanish.  It is also nice not to have to take the bus every time.  Well, all in all, that is my school experience so far in Alfacar!

No comments:

Post a Comment