Sunday, October 31, 2010

Hiking in the Sierra Nevada

So, although I have not been feeling completely settled here in Granada, I decided that I needed to go on an adventure.  I also knew that I wanted this adventure to be hiking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains before it got too cold to do so.  So, after reviewing the Lonely Planet guidebook and surfing the web, I found the trail I wanted to go on.  It was called Los Cahorros and was located outside of a tiny pueblo called Monachil.  It was described as having a suspension bridge, waterfalls, vast gorges, tunnels, ledges… need I say more? I was so excited! I got Abby, Ralph, and Annie to come with and on Saturday (the 16th) we headed to the ambiguous place in Granada where the bus was supposed to come.  Well, turns out the internet was a little outdated and not very specific, so we missed the first bus, but after asking around we found the place where we needed to take the bus.  The bus came every hour (for the first part of the day) so we went and got some bocadillos (sandwiches) and snacks for the hike. When we got on the bus, it was such a beautiful ride! We went through all these quaint and beautiful mountain pueblos before arriving in Monachil at the very last stop.  (It was only about a 15 minute ride.)   There was a café right where we got off so Ralph and Abby wanted some coffee before we headed out so we rested and enjoyed the scenery for a little while.  Abby decided she was hungry too, so she ordered the migas, but explained that she does not eat meat, so could she get it without meat, and the waitress explained that it was made without meat and then the meat was added in later, so when Abby ordered the migas without meat, she expected it to be without meat.  You would think, right?  Well, NO, that is not how many people think in Spain.  The migas, which are different from Mexican migas (they are actually more like seasoned breadcrumbs with little bits of ham in it), came with meat it in.  After asking the waitress why, because we had clearly stated that Abby did not eat meat, the waitress explained that Abby could just pick out the pieces of meat if she wanted.  This would never happen in vegetarian friendly Austin, TX.  And although I felt badly for Abby, because not she was still hungry, I also found it humorous how the Spanish think about vegetarianism.  Anyway, after this, we got directions from this very helpful woman also at the café and headed out on our adventure.  To get the trail head was up a very steep hill that walked by several houses in the mountains with great views and their own personal farms (always equipped with several horses) until finally arriving at the main trail.  We found it funny that while walking up these very sketchy roads with only a few farm houses on the side, at the top of the mountain there were not one, but THREE bars/cafes! Oh Spain, you make me laugh.  Always offering a cold beer for you mountain people, and the hikers I suppose.  After hiking up the very steep trail, we finally got to the notorious suspension bridge.  There was a giant sign explaining that it was very dangerous to have more than 4 people on the bridge, and no funny business should go down on the bridge.  Honestly, the bridge wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be, but yes, it was over a gorge with a few little waterfalls on the side, and it did shake a LOT when walking across, but we all successfully made it.  Other fun events on the trail, the tunnel, and the ledges.  There were little metal bars on the side of the rock where you could put your hands to hold yourself from falling down below (although it was only about an 8 foot drop, but it was in to a creek with cold mountain water!) which was fun, and some of the ledges we had to squat to go under the rock protruding from the walls, crawl on our hands and knees, and also, my personal favorite, the butt slide (basically sitting with our feet dangling and sliding along our bums to a place where we could finally stand).  It was a really fun adventure.  The landscape went from beautiful trees, to creeks and tunnels, gorges, to deserty type mountains (where I picked fresh rosemary to take home!).  I had so much fun! It was actually quite hot in the sun, although cool in the shade.  We passed a lot of people rock climbing, which looked terrifying, but probably really fun if you are brave enough for that… When we headed back from our hike, we stopped in town to grab a drink and people watch.  There was SOMETHIN goin on in Monachil.  Everyone was on their horse riding around with their straight brimmed hats and their colored sashes on.  I'm not sure what the occasion, but there was a tent set up in the town center with a lot of people cheering and all of the local police were having fun "patrolling" the madness.  (Note: that was sarcasm. The town was too small to have madness, but I'm sure this may have been one of the main events of the year judging on their behavior.)  When we headed back to the bus stop around 9 p.m. for the last bus back to Granada for the day,  it was right next to the café we had gone to earlier.  It was packed and surrounding the edge of the café was everyone on their horse just having casual conversations with other horse riders or café goers. It was so funny.  I had sooo much fun and hope that I can go on other hiking adventures soon! (Although snow has been sighted on top of some of the mountains this week)  If not soon, then maybe in April or May.  I know I have been terrible about keeping up with my blog lately, but I still do not have internet, although I think I will get it this week (even though I know I have been saying that every week since I have been here).  Hope all is well with everyone! Missing you big time!

No comments:

Post a Comment