Monday, May 14, 2012

Arcos de la Frontera

View outside my hostel
View outside my hostel

View outside my hostel

View outside my hostel

Down below my hostel

A summary of my weekend getaway

Beautiful!!!!!!

Streets of Arcos


View from down below the cliffs
View from down below the cliffs



So, being that I am about to move back to the United States after living my super unorganized and flexible life here in Spain, it is completely natural that I would be a little stressed.  The culture in the United States is sooo different from here as far as concept of time and efficiency, which are things that are going to be crucial as I embark on my job hunt when I return.  I don't know what job I'm going to have, where it will be, or how long it will take to find one, so yea, my stress level has been a little high.  On April 21, I decided that I needed to get away and do some thinking.  My 1000 Places to See Before You Die book had mentioned that Arcos de la Frontera was worth a visit, as it is the first pueblo on the "Ruta de los Pueblos Blancos"  (Route of the White Villages), so I decided that I had to go there, especially since it is not very far away, and not very accessible for a day trip.  I thought that if I didn't go there this year while I am here living in Sevilla, than I may never go there.  I am soooo glad that I went.  I took the 2 hour bus ride there in the morning and still arrived early in the day.  I got on a local bus to go to my hostel, but the driver forgot to tell me when to get off so I got a little tour of the village, haha.  It is quite small, and the historical center of town is even smaller. When I arrived to my hostel, it was much more like a hotel.  I was the only person staying there too so it was awesome!!! The upstairs had a sitting room with wifi with free tea and coffee and a beautiful vista.  Down below were the rooms, and my room was perfect for me, with an individual bathroom that was nice and clean.  The guy that ran the hostel was a British guy that was really artsy and peaceful.  After dropping my stuff off I went for a walk around town and then stopped in the center for some tapas.  WOW, the food was awesome.  I had crepes with ham and asparagus with a balsamic sauce, pepper stuffed chicken, and spinach & pine nut croquettes.  Delicious!  I read my book while eating in the sun and it was really relaxing.  Since I was travelling alone, I could do whatever I wanted to do, and ya know what, I wanted to take a nap, so that is what I did.  It was a great nap too with only the sounds of the peaceful surroundings and the goats grazing at the bottom of the hill.  After my nap, I went on a hike to the bottom of the cliffs.  It was so beautiful, and the hike back up the cliffs was a great work out! I bought some wine when I got back in town and went up to the rooftop terrace of my hostel to read, think, admire the view, and have some wine.  It was absolutely perfect.  After it started to cool down, I used the internet for a while and then went to eat dinner at the place recommended by the guy that ran the hostel.  I had quail breast in an orange olive oil sauce, chicken "cake" with ham and a pate oregano sauce, and spinach and pine nut stuffed hake fish.  I was the only one eating there so the waiter talked with me for almost the whole time which was good Spanish practice.  I returned to the hostel where I took a nice hot bath with my music blasting since I was the only one there, did some sewing, and then slept peacefully.  I woke up to some roosters and the goats grazing again with their bells clanging along the cliffs.  I left after getting up and going.  It was a fantastic trip and just what I needed!  I am so glad that I went.  One of my best mini-vacations ever! 

No comments:

Post a Comment