Monday, May 21, 2012

Feria de Sevilla

The flower on the top of the head is very typical... but I don't like it

In Cari's very traditional Spanish patio

The full view of the dress

The door to Feria

Awwwww

Even the horses get dressed up!

Girls dancing the Sevillana

Dana and Me

Riding in a horse-drawn carriage

FERIA

Some of my coworkers
Men dressed up in their carriage
Feria after dark

The door at night!
So, the week of April 23-28, there was the famous Feria de Sevilla (Sevilla Fair).  It is one of the most popular events in Andalucía, and of course in Sevilla.  It is a week long in the neighborhood of Los Remedios in a big open space that gets filled with tents, lights, decorations, and lots of people! I went with my coworkers on the Thursday.  Even though I have some pictures at the top in a flamenco dress which is worn by almost all the women at the festival, it actually didn't fit me so I didn't wear one to the Feria.  My American coworker Dana did though, and she looked so Spanish! We entered the Feria through the big "door" that is different every year.  It is supposed to be representative of the city, and this year it looked like the Salvador church which is near my house.  Upon entering the Feria, I was immediately surrounded by men dressed up nicely and all the women dressed in their uniquely designed flamenco dresses.  There were many different tents that you have to know somebody to get in to.  Some people pay for a membership to certain tents, and then they can invite people inside.  One of my coworkers Flori (the religion teacher) has a tent, or "caseta", that we all could to in to.  Everybody drinks the same drink of rebujitos, which is manzanilla (a sweet Spanish wine) and Sprite mixed together.  Sevillana music plays over and over all day all week and people dance the typical dance "Sevillana" when they want to.  Horses trot through the street, some with carriages and some just with people riding them.  The vibe all throughout the Feria is that of a very elegant and macho feel.  People eat various tapas in the tents and hang out with their friends there, and then can go to other tents of their other friends.  We hung out some in the caseta of Flori and then one of Noami, another teacher at my school.  One treat that we got was we got to go on a horse-drawn carriage ride from Meli's husband (Meli is my coordinator) all around the grounds of the Feria.  Normally, those rides are super expensive, but we got to go for free!  It was cool to have a nice little tour of the festival.  It was interesting to see, but it wasn't really my scene, but I'm glad I got to go see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment